Stax works across the healthcare spectrum, with deep and ongoing experience within all major industry segments and sub-segments. We have advised corporations, providers, payors, and non-profit organizations, as well as private equity firms investing in the sector. Clients call on Stax for advice and insights on growth initiatives, operational improvements, M&A, and critical strategic questions.
Types of Engagements
Healthcare companies and private equity firms engage Stax to analyze and help grow their businesses and investments in a wide variety of ways.
- Understanding trends in spending by government, business, and consumers, to determine the impact on products and services on a national and local basis.
- Assessing markets, customers, segments, channels, and competition to identify and prioritize growth opportunities.
- Evaluating current and new offerings to optimize the value proposition.
- Developing go-to-market strategies.
- Conducting deep analysis of operational efforts to get beneath the averages, and identifying opportunities for optimal allocation of organizational resources, including sales force and marketing spend.
- Conducting acquisition screens and due diligence.
- Discovering unmet needs, untapped pockets of opportunity, and areas for focused innovation.
- Conducting multi-country market analysis to prioritize best geographic opportunities.
Areas of Expertise
Macro Trends and Factors Affecting Healthcare Environment
- Population Volume Trends and Supply-Demand
- Healthcare Funding Sources, Including Federal, State, Employer, and Consumer-Pay
Payors and Health Plans
- Plan Product/Service Offerings
- Population Health Management
Providers and Provider Services
- Hospitals, Clinics, Ambulatory Surgery Centers, Diagnostic Imaging Centers
- Lab-Based Services
- Outsourced Services
- Home Health and Hospice
- Healthcare IT, CRM, Data Management and Analytics
- Workforce Management
- Medical Devices
- Consumer Understanding and Patient Engagement
- The “Consumerization of Healthcare”
- Retail Clinics
- Medical Tourism
Examples of Engagements
Expansion Strategy and Growth Opportunity Prioritization. Stax developed a strategy for expansion. At the core of the analysis was quantifying zip code-level imbalances between provider supply and demand—assessing population density, demographics, the competitive landscape, and other relevant factors—and identifying optimal locations for de novo growth and clinic acquisition. This work pinpointed locations for organic expansion and prioritized the pipeline for M&A.
Sales Force Optimization. Stax helped a public healthcare staffing company assess its force strategy. Through analysis of the client’s win/loss data and in-depth discussions with more than 350 hospital decision makers, Stax mapped out the scope of existing and potential outsourcing contracts within the client’s target markets, identified where the client was winning and losing, and found situations where the client was not even participating in bid processes. The work redirected targeting of the sales team and refined marketing messaging. Within 15 months this company had doubled its close rate and saw about a 10% lift in revenue.
Lifetime Value Analysis. Stax developed a lifetime value analysis for a leading institute. The analysis enabled this institute to demonstrate the effectiveness of its diabetes program in improving patient outcomes. Stax also helped this client evaluate its current operational model and assessed its medical and economic outcomes and value over the lifecycle (10 to 20 years) of a patient receiving care. Outcomes and findings from this engagement led the client to enter into a successful joint venture.
Global Product & Pricing Strategy. A medical device manufacturer engaged Stax to conduct granular analysis to determine the sizes of various geographic markets and customer segments. Over 12 weeks, Stax analyzed company records, assessed the competitive landscape, and conducted more than 1,300 interviews in 11 countries. The result was an easily understandable market and segmentation map. Based on Stax’s analysis this client adjusted its R&D, marketing, training, and sales approach across Europe and the U.S., resulting in fast and significant improvement in profitability.
SEE MORE CASE STUDIES
With nearly two decades of experience in the healthcare sector—including multiple geographic markets and sub-sectors—Stax knows the healthcare space very well. We conduct high-level strategic assessments and deep granular analysis to help clients drive growth and profitability, and help investors make fully informed investment decisions.
To discuss how Stax can assist you contact Mark Bremer at firstname.lastname@example.org.